Calling all bakers… dig through your cookbooks, search the Internet, or call up grandma for her recipe and join The Old Farmer’s Almanac Apple Pie Baking Contest! The Old Farmer’s Almanac and Greater Peterborough Chamber of Commerce will be hosting this new event in conjunction with the 16th Annual Peak into Peterborough Festival®. Anyone and everyone of all ages and skill levels are invited to enter their favorite apple pie recipe to be judged by a panel of guest judges on October 15th, 2016 during our Peak into Peterborough celebration.
• All bakers must be pre-registered by WEDNESDAY, October 12th, 2016 by 12 noon. To Pre-Register, please call the Chamber of Commerce at 603-924-7234 or e-mail Staff@peterboroughchamber.com. Please provide the baker’s name, phone number and e-mail address. You can also Register Online.
• All contestants must bring two pies, one to taste/judge and one to show. The Greater Peterborough Chamber of Commerce will be auctioning off all the show pies at the end of the awards ceremony to benefit one of our many charitable programs.
• All pies must use apples as their key ingredient. Pies with apple and another fruit will be accepted.
• There is no rule on the type of crust except you must use King Arthur Flour and bring proof of purchase (either the bag or UPC code).
• Pies must be in non-returnable containers.
• All pies must be received by noon on Friday October 14th, 2016 at the Chamber of Commerce offices at 10 Wilton Road, Peterborough, NH.
• Each pie should be turned in with an index card with the type of pie, the baker’s name, phone number and e-mail address.
• Each pie should be turned in with a legible recipe, with their entry, preferably typed.
• Judging will be held at 1 p.m. on Saturday October 15th, 2016 with our panel of guest judges.
• The winners will be announced that day and prizes will be awarded to First, Second and Third place pies in three divisions, Children 17 and under, Home Bakers, and Professional. Winners will be photographed and posted on the Chamber’s Website, Facebook Page, and submitted to the local papers. The Old Farmer’s Almanac will invite each winner to come into their baking studio to recreate their pie for their online series. Please pay attention to our website for more details on the prizes.
• Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification.
• Taste (50 points)
o Taste of Filling: Judges will taste the filling and rate it on flavor and consistency.
• Overall Appearance & Creativity (25 points)
o Judges will taste the whole pie and judge on the pie as a whole based on flavor, creativity and lasting impression.
• Texture (25 points)
o Appearance: Before the judges cut into the pies they will rate them on overall aesthetic.
Congratulations to all the winners and contestants! You made the contest very difficult for our judges. You all did a wonderful job! Hope to see you all next year!